Thursday, 1 July 2010

Harry Potter and the Enraptured Generations

It is safe to say that I adore Harry Potter and all of its forms. I love the books, I love the films (despite a stubborn few years after the release of the Philosophers' Stone where I refused to watch any Harry Potter related film or TV-related concoction, lest it "ruin the perfect images" in my head. It did, but meh. Alan Rickman makes a better Snape than the blonde version of my maths teacher I was imagining.) and I love all sorts of spin-off rubbish and tat that comes with it. Remember Ubos? Loved it. Harry Potter PS2 game? I wanted that. It was my generation's all immersing obsession, and it was much healthier and less noisy than my Muse fixation, so my mum let it slide.

I was first given a Harry Potter book in my first year of high school. Being the weedy, bullied sort of child, I spent a lot of time in the school library, and the librarian had taken a shine to me ever since I shunned the Northern Lights series of books in favour of Terry Pratchett and my secret shameful love for Jaqueline Wilson (I like to commend myself that even when I was eleven, I knew reading about boyfriends and diets and shoes was cringe-inducingly rubbish). She handed me copies of the Philosopher's Stone and the Chamber of Secrets and said something along the lines of "It's teacher training on Monday - you'll get through both of them by the time you get back". She was not wrong.



It's rare for something you loved as a child to transcend age limits and stay with you into adulthood. As many times as I've been called lame for reading Harry Potter on the train to London for Big Adult Work Stuff, I have equally been commended for never succumbing to the versions with adult covers. Everybody loves harry Potter. if they claim they don't, they are missing a vital part of their psyche where the engaging personality should be. As the books continued to be written, they got longer and more involved. I grew to love Ron Weasley as if he was a real person (Rupert Grint, if you are reading this, call me). They got scarier and more challenging, and I loved it. The most commendable part of the Harry Potter series is that JK Rowling never condecends to her target audience. She understands that kids want to be treated like adults, and will read past the parts they don't understand if the story is engaging enough. I have cried and laughed reading her creations, and I am not ashamed to yell it from the bottom of my usually cynical heart - I LOVE HARRY POTTER!

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part I is out in the UK this Novemeber.

1 comment:

Jamrock said...

Um. You are not alone. The books were amazing, although the first couple were a bit 'young' the rest were not. I hadn't read any of them and decided to read all of them before the last book was out. I figured it would take me a year. It took me about six weeks.

Amazing books. Only surpassed since by one other set

"I shunned the Northern Lights series of books in favour of Terry Pratchett"

which is why I was surprised at that. Of course, TP is legend but I loved Northern Lights.

Have you read the Abhorsen trilogy by Garth Nix?

This is my favourite blog, bar none.

1. 4.
There was an error in this gadget
Related Posts with Thumbnails