Thursday, 30 September 2010

2nd Hand Start

As you may have noticed if you're a regular reader, I've become somewhat interested in Eco things. Don't be afraid, I haven't suddenly started wearing hemp underpants, what's happened is I've become very poor. This major factor, combined with my staying for some time with friends who actually do care whether polar bears live or die has led me to start thinking about the products I buy on a daily/weekly basis.

I have this moral overhaul at least once a year. Usually I intend to buy Eco-friendly Christmas presents wrapped in homemade papyrus, and then I forget about it for another year. This year however, I have run out of money entirely, which is something that doesn't happen very often. I have found myself having to think about leftovers, or walking instead of getting the bus. Don't get me wrong, I'm not willfully wasteful, but growing up in a family who had nothing really makes you resent having to mend and make-do. Throwing out old shoes gives me some sort of perverse pleasure. Turning the heating on when I'm cold fills me with huge joy. Knowing that I'm not allowed to do these things now is making me sulk quite a bit. That's where the "Eco" bit comes in.

Labelling "being poor" as "caring for the environment" really shuffles my brain into action. Imagine a magician dealing cards. That's what my thoughts look like. "Just get another one" turns into "what can we use instead?" and "I want a take-away" magically morphs into "I want a take-away, but I'm not fucking allowed one, I'll just make some mash". It makes being poor seem a lot more rewarding. I haven't bought a Nestlé product in over a week - mainly because I haven't bought anything in over a week - but the sentiment is there. If you look for it. Even downloading music can become Eco-friendly; after all, if I bought a CD I wanted, there'd be all that plastic and packaging. Sure, there's legal downloads, but that means using my credit card, and I read somewhere that that was against the Eco off-the-grid rules. Pick and choose your morals carefully. You'll never have to buy anything again.

Along the way, I've learned how to make kinder washing powder, I've developed a strong inclination to possibly begin to start learning how to crochet, I still haven't learned how to drive, and I've written a list of things I want from charity shops. Being Eco friendly is easy.

1 comment:

Jo said...

Being poor = caring for the environment... Considering how grotesquely broke I am (I'm going to be eating soup for the next four months), I'm with you on this one. And I'm prepared to go all the way.

And by 'all the way', I mean loudly judge other people who have more money than I do (almost everyone I know) and make them feel incredibly guilty.

1. 4.
There was an error in this gadget
Related Posts with Thumbnails