Wednesday, 12 January 2011

2001 versus 2011

It occurred to me while I was lying on the sofa watching Futurama and feeling sorry for myself (never ever ever drink Tequila mid-week, no matter who dares you to) that the series of Futurama I was watching was 10 years old. I used to watch it when I was 13, and I am still watching it now.

So I started pondering. 2001 was the year I (sortof) began high school. My little sister is now in her first year of high school in 2011. How different is the experience for her, if it is at all? Pop culture has certainly moved on as you would expect it to in ten whole years, but how far removed is it from the millennium-bug obsessed, blue lipstick-wearing world that I cut my teenage teeth in?

Music


2001

  •  Staples - N*Sync, Britney Spears, Robbie Williams, Steps, Basement Jaxx, Gabrielle, Kylie Minogue, B*Witched (there seemed to be an over-abundance of unnecessary punctuation in early '00s music)
  • Dubious comebacks - Cher, Shaggy
  • Surely they'll never be unpopular? - Crazytown (exactly, who?), Atomic Kitten, Linkin Park, Daniel Beddingfield, Wheatus, Dido
  • Defining one-hit wonder track - Eiffel 65 - "I'm Blue"
  • Breakthrough "Play Loudly To Annoy Parents and Assert Adultness and Position in Household" Genres - Nu-Metal, UK Garage, Eminem Rap (but not any other rap, because it has too many drug references and my mum might get angry. Best to stick with songs about killing my wife.)
  • Worst Fashion mishap - Blue lipstick, thanks to the promo vid to "Deeper Shade of Blue" by Steps. 


2011


  • Staples - Rihanna, Beyonce, Lady GaGa, Justin Timberlake, Gwen Stefani, Katy Perry, Usher (basically, imagine all the pop bands from 2001 had a car crash. These are the leftover parts of the horrific twist of pink plastic metal and bumpers. And Katy Perry.)
  • Dubious Comebacks - Nelly, Alesha Dixon, Enrique Inglesias, Take That, Britney Spears
  • Surely they'll never be unpopular? - Tinie Tempah, N-Dubz, Ollie Murs, Taio Cruz, Flo Rida, Ne-Yo, Cheryl Cole, Brandon Flowers
  • Defining one-hit wonder track - Willow Smith - "Whip My Hair"
  • Breakthrough "Play Loudly To Annoy Parents and Assert Adultness and Position In Household" Genres - Dubstep, Wobble, Whatever N-Dubz is, Assertive female-led stripper-pop
  • Worst Fashion Mishap - Every girl and young woman in the world dying their hair cherry red, in an attempt to mimic everyone's favourite kazzoo-singing forehead, Rihanna.

TV

Television is my best friend. But has it changed over the years to suit my needs, or have I found myself increasingly cramped by it's inability to put the remote somewhere I can easily find it, and it's infuriating habit of leaving all the broken biscuits in the bottom of the tin? It would appear in some aspects that this decade of futuristic lifestyle lust had encouraged TV to become still more of the type of fella I want around the house. This isn't about me though - it's about my little sister and her little know-it-all friends. What TV shows are they watching when it's past their bedtime? What CBBC gems are there now? Does anybody else really miss As If, or is it just me that thinks about it nearly every day?



2001
  • South Park
  • Futurama
  • As If
  • Spaced
  • Trigger Happy TV
  • Zzap!
  • Diggit (Basically the Disney Channel for Saturday Morning ITV watchers with an added King Charles Spaniel)

2011
  • South Park
  • Futurama
  • Horrible Histories (the best kids show ever made)
  • Facejacker
  • Top Gear
  • Harry Hill's TV Burp
  • Keith Lemon and whatever it is that he does
  • Skins
  • Late Night Hollyoaks
I think it might be fair to say that the youth of today are being catered for in all the major areas of TV viewing - be that late night swearing, incidental boob-flashing or cool-music-drugs-slang-violence. They still don't have the outrageously colour-saturated 2001-era filming techniques that saw turquoise and purple being used together frequently and with gay abandon, mind. They will have to make do with haircuts that are so bleeding-edge they go out of fashion before your very eyes. They also have Harry Hill, which is something, at least.

So, what have we learned? Well, for one thing, you and I are a lot older than we thought we were. Also, it doesn't matter how much you protest, bassline is still essentially garage, which means Daniel Beddingfield is long overdue for a successful comeback (as is Dane Bowers, God help us all). If anything though, we have learned that the youth of today who are not out on the street drinking VodkaRedBullRelentlessCocaine with their small ferocious dog pals are indoors, quietly absorbing pseudo-offensive TV shows and making up dance routines to angry sex music. Awww. Just like wot I use'a do, init.

No comments:

1. 4.
There was an error in this gadget
Related Posts with Thumbnails