Wednesday, 4 January 2012

Bryan Adams Dissects the Human Psyche (and we all think he's just being glib).

(This whole blog post is based on a conversation I had with Ken Addeh and far too many cold medicines.)

It's nice to feel wanted. As American psychologist and philosopher William James said: "The deepest principle in human nature is the craving to be appreciated". So is it bad or good that being told somebody enjoyed your work makes you feel awesome? Or is it vain? Does it make us needy as a species, or does it make sense that we strive for the attention and acceptance of our peers?

I'd like to point to social networking, where we (I say we, I mean "I") spend a lot of time saying things out loud that we'd (again "I'd") normally only think because other human beings might read it and laugh or think about it and then - oh wonder of wonders - respond almost instantly with feedback. Time and time again this is likened to rats in a maze pushing buttons for food/nicotine/growth hormones/jaffa cakes, but I like to think of it more like a baby tipping his food over his head repeatedly because you laughed the first time. I'm at peace with this accurate but somewhat disparaging analogy. Are you?

If you're in any doubt that what you do is largely for the feeling of appreciation from others, look towards one of popular music's least celebrated psychologists, Bryan Adams.

Baby, it's true. Everything we do, we do it for the collective you.

Now stop checking favstar and get back to work.

No comments:

1. 4.
There was an error in this gadget
Related Posts with Thumbnails