Monday, 25 June 2012

SP4M: The Amazingness of Electronic Explorations

I'm not really sure if my love for EE has endured for so many years because of its importance in the growth of my musical knowledge and consumption, or that as a ground breaking musical podcast it has managed to remain relatively satisfyingly unheard of. Not in that shit trendy way, but in a "we're so nerdy everyone left the party an hour ago and we didn't notice cuz we were playing with the Moog I got from a car boot sale out in the hallway?" sort of way. There's also the fact that it's linked (in my head, forever) with one of my most favourite places in the world, Ambleside. The Lake District + techno? I'm 100% in.

The Electronic Explorations compilation is out on the 1st of July and you can pre-order it here: http://electronicexplorations.bandcamp.com/

You definitely should. If you like dance music at all and you're thinking that you might not bother, quite frankly, you're a fool. Pay more than £5 for it if you can. Why? Well I'm about to show you seven reasons. So shuuuuuut uurrrrrp.

The following are my top seven favourite Electronic Exploration podcast shows of all time. Why seven? I was going to do five but I couldn't cut it down enough. I listen to all of them at least once a month each, and they have taught me more about what I think electronic music is and should be than anything else I've encountered.

Do you know what else? They are all free. FREE! Fucking hell, mate. You can go on the site right now and get hundreds of amazing mixes and record recommendations for absolutely zip-fucking-all. Rob Booth is providing a public service. I said last year I owed him a cake for how many times EE has helped me out of a particularly terrifying hangover, I think by now I owe him an entire cake factory. A world made entirely of carrot cake. Hm.

Anyway. Here they are. The best seven EE shows that have ever happened in my opinion, ever. Please, by all means, feel free to leave a comment adding your own favourite :)

7. The Black Dog
http://electronicexplorations.org/?show=1515


Slick, "intelligent" bloody wonderfully intricate techno. Is that a thing? Well, I think so. At least, that's what I could hear when I gave it a listen. Please give this a go even if you don't think you like techno. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

6. King Cannibal
http://electronicexplorations.org/?show=king-cannibal

It took a while for Dylan to go and do an EE show and it was jolly well worth it. I'm not going to say how great he is because he'll probably read it and that's really embarrassing when that happens. Just download it now, exxxxxxpecially if you like techy bits and filthy bits and just generally thinking "this is dark, so why is it fun?"

5. Loops Haunt
http://electronicexplorations.org/?show=loops-haunt

I don't think I could possibly say how much I love this entire show, and Loops Haunt's mix is just nuts. He quite literally doesn't care what he uses, he just likes making a noise. I love it. Thanks to this show I discovered Emika, Al Tourettes and Cloaks.

4. Akkord
http://electronicexplorations.org/?show=%CE%B4kkord

An absurdly secretive episode for Akkord, a group that definitely doesn't include Synkro. So good though, worth overcoming that feeling that maybe you just can't be bothered with it if they don't want to tell you. That's totally how I felt. I was wrong.

3. Bop & Ghosting Season
http://electronicexplorations.org/?show=bop

I've been following Ghosting Season on twitter for ages now, and they are just great. I mean, really. You know to trust me now, just go and find out some more about them. Bop, as you probably already know, is Med School's crowning glory, and this mix he did for EE is just so amazingly beautiful I couldn't really believe it, to be honest with you.

2. Author
http://electronicexplorations.org/?show=author

No tracklist - Set recorded live from DMZ / Exodus (Leeds) in November 2011.
So fucking amazing I said "woah" until I went into a coma. True story. According to my Winamp I have listened to it 47 times, but that's not accounting for all MP3 renditions. Quite honestly, I believe it's a perfect mix, and I want everyone to listen to it to hear how beautiful dubstep can be.


1. iTAL tEK
http://electronicexplorations.org/?show=ital-tek
Obv.

No comments:

1. 4.
There was an error in this gadget
Related Posts with Thumbnails